REPORTS TOExecutive Director and CFO
DESCRIPTIONA detail-oriented person for bookkeeping and entry-level accounting activities.
ABOUT THE FRENCH CULTURAL CENTER:
Founded in 1945 as the French Library of Boston, the Center is a 501(c)3, membership-based organization housed in a beautiful French Revival townhouse in Boston’s historic Bay. The Center has three areas of activity: French language education for students of all ages, from children to adults, based on close affiliation with the internationally renowned Federation of Alliances Françaises; French-themed artistic and cultural activities throughout the year, including the annual Bastille Day Celebration block party; and a library/médiathèque that houses some 30,000 French-language books, periodicals and electronic media, making it the second-largest private collection in the U.S.
The Center recently adopted a new strategy focus with the goal of elevating its visibility in New England, with the eventual aim of building a base for national program offerings.
- A minimum of 3 years of previous bookkeeping experience necessary, preferably in a non-profit institution
- College degree in accounting (preferred)
- Well-organized, detail-oriented person
- Technologically savvy, able to use latest accounting tools available
- Complete fluency in French and English preferred
- Performs all bookkeeping functions up through distribution of periodical budget versus actual reports.
- Reconciles daily money log of money received at reception.
- Enters cash and checks received and credit card sales into the appropriate cash accounts in the accounting system.
- Deposits receipts at the bank.
- Enters bills received and check requests into accounts payable in the accounting system.
- Selects bills for payment based upon due date, prints checks to pay those bills, provides printed checks to the Executive Director and/or authorized signer, then mails the payments.
- Assembles information for each bi-monthly payroll based upon hours worked, unpaid absences, prepayments, etc. and including deductions for employee contributions to the health care and retirement savings plans, etc.; reports the information to the FCC’s outside payroll service and assures that the checks issued correspond with the desired pay.
- Maintains the petty cash fund, including providing funds for ticket sales at events and reconciliation after the event.
- Maintains the employee receivable accounts in the accounting system and provides monthly statements to employees.
- Reconciles monthly bank, investment and credit card statements and makes appropriate journal entries.
- Processes returned checks and adjustments.
- Files all accounting records, including money logs, invoices, check requests, etc.
- Administers the FCC health plan and employee salary reduction retirement savings plan.
- Works closely with Executive Director, CFO and FCC staff in preparation of the annual FCC budget.
- Helps prepare schedules for the annual audit, and works closely supporting the independent auditors during the annual audit and preparation of tax reports.
- Provides information as requested from time-to-time by the Executive Director and CFO.