OVERVIEWThe French Cultural Center’s Development Department seeks to hire a Development Officer to assist with a variety of projects, initiatives and events.
Founded in 1945 as the French Library of Boston, the Center is a 501(c)3, membership-based organization housed in a beautiful French Revival townhouse in Boston’s historic Bay. The Center has three areas of activity: French language education for students of all ages, from children to adults, based on close affiliation with the internationally renowned Federation of Alliances Françaises; French-themed artistic and cultural activities throughout the year, including the annual Bastille Day Celebration block party; and a library/médiathèque that houses some 30,000 French-language books, periodicals and electronic media, making it the second-largest private collection in the U.S. The Center recently adopted a new strategy focus with the goal of elevating its visibility in New England, with the eventual aim of building a base for national program offerings.
RESPONSIBILITIESThe Development Officer is responsible for:
- Assisting with individual/foundation/corporate donor correspondence, including gift acknowledgement letters;
- Assisting with the planning and paperwork related to fundraising events, donor appreciation events, other VIP receptions and members’ events;
- Assisting with donor appeal campaigns as well as donor recognition efforts, including the Annual Report project;
- Assisting with marketing efforts to increase membership.
REPORTING AND SUPPORTThe Development Officer will report directly to the Director of Development.
- Fluency in French
- Native level fluency in English
- Superior attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to write clearly, concisely and with conviction
- Polite and persuasive oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional presence
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Flexible and responsive
- Takes initiative and demonstrates follow-through
- Ability to anticipate short-term and long-term needs
- Ability to handle confidential information with professionalism
- Advanced user in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Familiarity with database systems required
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.