Tuesdays & Thursdays, 7:40 PM - 9:10 PM
About this Class
Our core language classes will reinforce your French through speaking, writing and comprehension activities while providing insights into Francophone culture. Our teachers and curriculum use cutting-edge methods and resources to augment your skills and boost your confidence in French. With a focus on conversational French and active student participation using videos and interactive exercises, you will master the finer aspects of the French language.
Required textbook: Saison 3 and Saison 4
In this course you will cover: Saison 3 Unit 9; pp.172 to 195* & Saison 4, Unit 1; pp.14 to 31
Saison 3 Unit 9 is available as a separate packets for students who are new to the French Cultural Center.
Student may choose to purchase either the hard copy version or the digital version of the textbook and workbook. Please note that for the hard copy version, a CD player is needed to play the included disc. For the digital copy, the online access code expires after one year.
Content you will coverLearn How To
- Defend an idea, describe a style, describe a habit or compulsion, express a benefit, write the mission statement of a club, conclude one's argument.
- Show exasperation and discontent, write a blog, write an e-mail requesting more information, search for the response to a question, have a dialogue about an expression, write a résumé, read aloud.
- The Belgian Wasbar, cuisine fait maison, oxygen bars and primary needs, the Movember movement, daily habits, Youboox and reading for pleasure, the testimony of a walker, the neighborhood, letters to the editor.
- Stereotypes of French society and happiness, the playwright Roland Dubillard, Les blagues Carambar.
- Cuisine, needs, styles (fashion...), reading, travel, metaphor.
- Happiness and sadness, laughter, neologisms.
- [ɛ̃] and [ɛn], double consonants, onomatopoeia.
- The silent e, y’a as a spoken form of il y a, play on words.
Grammar you will cover
- Logical connectors (begin, conclude, elaborate, and enumerate)
- The expression of regret and reproach
- Indefinite adjectives and pronouns
- The different uses of the infinitive
- Expressing a feeling using the indicative or the subjunctive
- Emphasize using la mise en relief
- Pouvoir as a modal verb
See the Winter Course Program