Tuesdays & Thursdays, 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Wednesdays & Fridays, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
About this Class
Our core language classes will strengthen your French through speaking, writing and comprehension activities while providing insights into Francophone culture. Our teachers and curriculum use cutting-edge methods and resources to develop your skills and confidence in French. With full immersion from day one and a communicative, task-based approach you'll gain the knowledge you need to embrace the Francophone world!
Required textbook: Saison 1
In this course you will cover Units 7,8 and 9; pp.135 to 187.
Content you will coverLearn How To
- Describe an object, tell a story in the past, understand directions, describe an object from an advertisement, signal agreement and disagreement, express an obligation and/or interdiction, sell something on the Internet.
- State a purpose, discuss one’s feelings, write a to-do list, express an opinion, talk about the weather, complete a project via email.
- Express interest in something, talk about one’s desires, describe plants and animals, note one’s discontent, encourage someone, write a letter asking for help, tell a story in the past, write a biography.
- Discuss the importance of passing objects from one generation to another, look at waste and recycling efforts in France and in Switzerland.
- Learn about the Erasmus program for studying abroad, talk about moving to a different country, discuss health and well-being, administrative procedures.
- Talk about what it means to be a citizen somewhere, the right to vote in France and in Belgium, volunteering for green organizations.
- Describe an object’s condition (vieux, nouveau, bon, mauvais) time indicators (hier, aujourd’hui, la semaine dernière); technology, recycling and reusing.
- Studies and professions, formalities surrounding travel, health, the body, the weather.
- Solidarity, politics, the environment, indicating a suite of events, animals.
- the sound [y] like j’ai eu, the sound [u] like goût, the sound [r] like roue, the sound [l] like loue.
- the silent e, [ə] as in je viens.
- Review of sounds studied in previous units.
Grammar you will cover
- The imperfect tense (l’imparfait)
- The verb faire
- Using the passé composé to tell a story
- Expressions such as hier and la semaine dernière
- The relative pronouns qui and que
- The recent past (le passé recent)
- The verbs croire and voir
- Conjunctions of purpose such as pour and afin de
- The future tense
- Direct object pronouns
- The imperfect (l’imparfait) and the passé composé
- The verbs connaître and savoir
- The time expressions depuis and pendant
- Indirect object pronouns
- The present conditional tense (le conditionnel)
See the Spring Course Program