About this Class
This class is directed towards any medical professionals that plan on working or studying in a French-speaking country, be it within a hospital or otherwise. There is no textbook for this class; rather, the teacher will distribute pertinent materials in class every week to create a dynamic curriculum. Thanks to authentic documents selected in relation to your particular profession, you'll learn important terminology and expressions that a medical professional needs to interact with patients, navigate a hospital, study medicine, and tackle medical documents written in French. If you are preparing to work with an NGO–such as Doctors without Borders–or to study abroad in a Francophone country, this course is for you!
- Master medical vocabulary
- Learn to facilitate conversations between doctors and patients, other doctors, and medical staff
- Simulate real-life interactions including consultations, medical visits, staff meetings, and other administrative situations
- Understand the various nuances of medical jargon as it relates to your particular field
- Utilize a multi-cultural approach to illustrate the various social and linguistic codes of this profession
Topics to be covered:
- Healthcare systems
- Doctor’s visits and prescriptions
- Vaccines and medical exams
- Patient-doctor relations
- The medical profession in general
- Medical vocabulary
Above photo by US Army Africa via Flickr.
See the Winter Course Program