Do I have to be a member to take courses?
No. Students are not required to be members in order to take a class. However, membership entitles you to the following benefits:
- Full access to our Library and Culturethèque
- Exclusive, members-only events
- Preferred rates for all our cultural events
Do I have to be a member to take private lessons?
No. You do not have to be a member to take private lessons.
Refunds, Credits and Course Changes
Refunds are not issued except in the case of class cancellation by the Education Department due to low enrollment (minimum enrollment is four students per class for a core language class and three students per class for a specialized or conversation class). If a class closes due to low enrollment, our administrator will contact you two days prior to the first course to offer several options. No course changes will be permitted after the first full week of classes. Make-up classes (for both adults and children) are not permitted in any circumstances. For more details on our class cancellation policies, please see below:
- A core language class with 4 or more students enrolled will open for the full 10 weeks.
- A core language class with 2 or 3 students will be cancelled. Students will be offered either semi-private lessons (at the semi-private lesson rate) or to switch into another course.
- A specialized or conversation class with 3 students enrolled will be maintained for the full 10 weeks.
- A specialized or conversation class with 2 students enrolled will cancelled.
- A class with 4 children enrolled will open for the full 10 weeks.
- A class with 2 or 3 children enrolled will be cancelled.
For private lessons, students must notify the department as well as the teacher at least 24 hours in advance to cancel a lesson. Students will be charged the full fee for lessons cancelled less than 24 hours in advance.
Registration cancellation policy for intensive programs
Registrations are non-refundable. If you need to cancel your registration, please notify the education department (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 48 hours in advance of the start of the program. Any cancellation two days before the start of the program will result in a credit, valid towards any education program. No credit will be issued for any withdrawal after this time.
Textbooks for Adult Classes
Textbooks may be purchased from the Receptionist at the Center. We suggest that you purchase your books in advance so that you may familiarize yourself with the learning materials before the class begins. Books are non-refundable.
Level A1Required textbook: Saison 1
Absolute Beginner French
Beginner French 1
Beginner French 2
Beginner French 3
A1/A2 Beginner French 4
Level A2Required textbook: Saison 1
Advanced Beginner French 1
Advanced Beginner French 2
Advanced Beginner French 3
A2/B1 Advanced Beginner French 4
Level B1Required textbook: Saison 3
Intermediate French 1
Intermediate French 2
Intermediate French 3
Intermediate French 4
Level B2Required textbook: Saison 3 booklet (for B2-4) and Saison 4
Advanced French 1
Advanced French 2
Advanced French 3
Advanced French 4
Books and Materials for Children and Teen Classes
Books are not required to be purchased for Summer in French. For other books and materials for themed courses and classes for children and teens, contact the Education Department at 617.912.0415.