POSITIONTemporary Part-Time Librarian
DEADLINE TO APPLYSeptember 22, 2021
REPORTS TOPresident and Executive Director, works closely with all other departments.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY OF THE FRENCH CULTURAL CENTER:
Created in 1945, our renowned lending library contains 32,000 documents in all formats and is the primary collection of this type in the U.S. We serve a diverse audience ranging from beginner-level students to native speakers.
During a major building renovation currently underway, we have put the bulk of the collection in storage and have selected 3,000 volumes for curbside pickup. We also have maintained online library activities for our members. We are currently looking for a temporary librarian who will implement the amended library activities until reopening in the spring of 2022.
Please note that for the right candidate, this position could lead to the full-time position of Center Librarian when the FCC reopens, an exciting opportunity as we will be refreshing and rethinking the collection in a brand-new setting.
- Bilingual in French and English
- Holds a Master of Library Science (preferred but not required if proper library experience)
- Must have valid work authorization in the US
- Has an appreciation and knowledge of French and Francophone literature and culture
- Is creative and able to review existing programs and marketing material and suggest improvements and new additions
- Has a great team spirit
- Is friendly and finds it easy to interact both on a one-on-one basis with users and to welcome groups
- Oversees the daily, reduced operations of the Library.
- Processes and implements curbside pickup requests (curbside pickup happens once a week at the Boston Public Library).
- Maintains the temporary collection at our rental facility in Watertown.
- Handles two monthly online activities (one book club and one discovery workshop); suggestions for more programs welcome.
- Promotes online collections offered on Culturethèque, creates accounts and provides training to users to use the platform.
- Handles reference and readers advisory services, makes recommendations in support of French language learning and CECR goals.
- Provides marketing and social media content, and contributes to the blog.
- Keeps track of records and statistics.
September 2021- February 2022, Tuesday through Saturday (flexible), 20 hours/week.