About this Class
Our core language classes will strengthen your French through speaking, writing and comprehension activities while providing insights into Francophone culture. Our teachers and curriculum use cutting-edge methods and resources to develop your skills and confidence in French. With full immersion from day one and a communicative, task-based approach you'll gain the knowledge you need to embrace the Francophone world!
Required textbook: Saison 1
In this course you will cover Units 7,8 and 9; pp.135 to 187.
Please note that the Saison textbook, a CD player is needed to play the included disc.
Content you will coverLearn How To
- Describe an object, tell a story in the past, understand directions, describe an object from an advertisement, signal agreement and disagreement, express an obligation and/or interdiction, sell something on the Internet.
- State a purpose, discuss one’s feelings, write a to-do list, express an opinion, talk about the weather, complete a project via email.
- Express interest in something, talk about one’s desires, describe plants and animals, note one’s discontent, encourage someone, write a letter asking for help, tell a story in the past, write a biography.
- Discuss the importance of passing objects from one generation to another, look at waste and recycling efforts in France and in Switzerland.
- Learn about the Erasmus program for studying abroad, talk about moving to a different country, discuss health and well-being, administrative procedures.
- Talk about what it means to be a citizen somewhere, the right to vote in France and in Belgium, volunteering for green organizations.
- Describe an object’s condition (vieux, nouveau, bon, mauvais) time indicators (hier, aujourd’hui, la semaine dernière); technology, recycling and reusing.
- Studies and professions, formalities surrounding travel, health, the body, the weather.
- Solidarity, politics, the environment, indicating a suite of events, animals.
- the sound [y] like j’ai eu, the sound [u] like goût, the sound [r] like roue, the sound [l] like loue.
- the silent e, [ə] as in je viens.
- Review of sounds studied in previous units.
Grammar you will cover
- The imperfect tense (l’imparfait)
- The verb faire
- Using the passé composé to tell a story
- Expressions such as hier and la semaine dernière
- The relative pronouns qui and que
- The recent past (le passé recent)
- The verbs croire and voir
- Conjunctions of purpose such as pour and afin de
- The future tense
- Direct object pronouns
- The imperfect (l’imparfait) and the passé composé
- The verbs connaître and savoir
- The time expressions depuis and pendant
- Indirect object pronouns
- The present conditional tense (le conditionnel)
This class has been such a fantastic experience. Being here as remedied my negative opinion of the language classes I had in high school. You are given so many opportunities to practice French in class, while changing homework assignments give you the change to explore politics, events around the city, and your favorite books and movies all while learning French.