About this Class
Our core language classes will strengthen your French through speaking, writing and comprehension activities while providing insights into Francophone culture. Our teachers and curriculum use cutting-edge methods and resources to develop your skills and confidence in French. With full immersion from day one and a communicative, task-based approach you'll gain the knowledge you need to embrace the Francophone world!
Required: Beginner French 3 or equiv. Prepare for CECR A2
Required textbook: Édito A1
In this course you will cover units 10, 11, and 12; pp. 145 to 185. Please note that a CD player is needed to play the included disc.
Content you will cover in Unit 10: Learn How To
"Beau travail !"
- Understand an exchange program, describe positive experiences, express purpose, describe a professional goal, indicate a wish or desire, talk about an ability or skill, understand professional tasks.
- Express a condition using si clauses (si + présent), talk about timing, use the relative pronouns qui and que, outline gradations of intensity.
- The French educational system at the university level.
- Talk about universities, college campuses, different domains of study; learn about the job market and the working world, work conditions, different jobs, and skillsets.
- pronounce the French “r”, the sounds [t]/[d] [r]: Atelier des métiers: voici le dossier à envoyer Je découvre un projet professionnel en Grèce [t]/[d]:Pour son diplôme en médecine, il est parti à Nantes
Content you will cover in Unit 11: Learn How To
"Au grand air"
- Read a graphic novel about life changes, express dissatisfaction, justify a life choice, describe a way of living.
- The comparative with adverbs (moins/plus que/aussi), the pronoun y, contracted articles.
- Talk about the countryside, learn about communal gardens in Montreal and Switzerland.
- The city versus the country (pros and cons), life shifts, nature, pasttimes, flora and fauna.
- The sound [p]/[b] ; linking vowel sounds [p]: campagne [b]: beaucoup Vowel sequence: Mon appartement à Paris est aussi petit qu’un garage
Content you will cover in Unit 12: Learn How To
"C’était bien ?"
- Talk about challenges, encourage and reassure someone, understand your horoscope, talk about a project, agree and disagree, indicate interest in something.
- Direct and indirect object pronouns, time markers, manipulating the present, passé composé, near future and imperative tenses.
- French music.
- Strategies for speaking a foreign language, the press.
- The sounds [j]/[w]/[ɥ]; [j]: payer; fille; [w]: loi; moyen; [ɥ]: huit ; pronounced e vs silent e: Je mange de la tarte aux poires
I thoroughly enjoyed my class. My instructor was fun and enthusiastic. She planned a variety of activities so the concepts were presented in different ways which really helped me learn. She was patient with my pronunciation, but taught me in a way that only a true native speaker could. Can't wait for my next class!
The class really gave us a good foundation from which we learned to communicate in French.