Why not explore our e-library, Culturethèque?
French Cultural Center members have free and unlimited access to over 120,000+ digital materials on this digital library and newsstand, including magazines, e-books, songs, concerts, videos, and language learning exercises. Here are a few tips and tricks for making the most of your e-library experience.
1. Accessing your accountIf you haven't created an account, you will need to register on this page. You'll instantly have access to materials and your account will be valid for the duration of your French Cultural Center membership. Email us if you have any problems accessing your account. We're here to help!
2. Bookmarks, tags, and moreYour account allows you to bookmark materials by saving them to your basket, or panier. You can access your basket by clicking on the "My Account" button on the top right-hand corner and selecting the second option, "My Bookmarks". You can also login to rate materials, add comments and tags, and update your contact information.
3. Navigating the pagesThe homepage features thematic selections, new arrivals, and a monthly "Your AF Loves" coup de coeur, which focuses on favorites from Alliance Française chapters across the country.
The five tabs will lead you to additional resources:
- Read: E-books, magazines, thrillers, graphic novels and BD, social science magazines...
- Listen: Music, music, music!
- Watch: Documentaries, conferences, science videos, web-documentaires...
- Learn French: A1-B2 level materials divided by CECR level, links to dictionaries and helpful websites...
- Youth: E-books, graphic novels, young adult fiction, picture books, and much more!
4. Using the search functionThe search bar at the top of the page is the most efficient place to start if you are looking for specific titles, authors, or themes. Type in your keyword - we recommend searching in French, whenever possible! - and click the blue magnifying glass.
If your search yields a high number of results, you can further refine the selection by using categories such as editor, publication date, and collection. These options appear on the left side of the page under "Affinez votre recherche".
Questions?We created a Culturethèque User Guide for step-by-step instructions on how to download and stream materials. If you have any questions or technical difficulties, refer to the guide or contact me directly.
Stay tuned: I'll be posting some of my favorite materials on Culturethèque over the next few weeks. Comment below if you're looking for any specific reading recommendations!
A native Mainer, Christianne has worked in libraries all her life and came to the Center after three years of managing the library at the Alliance Française in Washington DC. She has a B.A. in French Studies from Smith College and loves children's literature, BDs, and cookbooks. When she is not at the library, you can find her traveling, baking, and - quelle surprise! - reading new books.See All Christianne's Posts